What is Operating System ? Types of Operating System
What is Operating System?
Operating system names
- Microsoft Windows OS
- Google's Androids OS
- Apple iOS
- Apple macOS
- Linux Operating System
What operating system works?
- Memory Management
- Processor Management (Process Schedule)
- Device Management
- File Management
- System performance monitoring
- Report error
- The synergy between software and user
#1. Memory Management
What operating systems do for memory management?
- Which part of memory will be used and which will not be used. How much will be used, how much will not be used? It determines everything operating system.
- In multiprocessing too, OS decides how much memory to give to which process.
- When we do a task on a computer, there is a process that requires memory. Distributed memory only by the operating system
- When the process is over, the operating system takes the memory back.
#2. Processor Management(Process Schedule)
In the task manager of your computer, you can see which process is running in which task and which task is finished. The operating system controls all these processes.
When one task ends, the operating system also performs the task of putting the processor in another task. And if there is no task, it frees the processor.
There is a program of the operating system called the traffic controller. The traffic controller does all the processing work.
#3. Device Management
- The operating system has a program called I/o Controller. Its job is to track the computer-connected devices like mouse, keyboard, etc.
- Many devices are connected to the computer. Some of which are output devices and some are input devices. How to process all devices is the work of the operating system.
#4. File Management
#6. System performance monitoring
#7. Report Error
#8. The synergy Between Software and user
Operating System Features
- Runs programs according to user interactions.
- Input devices and output devices are controlled according to the user instruction. This work is also done with the help of the operating system.
- The responsibility of running all applications lies with the operating system.
- The operating system also performs processor distribution. This means how many processes have to be passed to which software.
- The system detects and fixes the errors otherwise it informs the user.
- Increases understanding between user and computer.